Saturday, July 7, 2012

Review: Jericho 3

Title: Jericho 3
Author: Paul McKellips
Source: Review from Author
Grade: A-


Synopsis from Amazon
U.S. Navy Captain "Camp" Campbell and Lieutenant Colonel Leslie Raines, the heroes of Paul McKellips' acclaimed debut, UNCAGED, return, determined to execute a mission that leaves millions of lives hanging in the balance. At the heart of this operation is the dire need to prevent a first-strike with a weapon known in intelligence circles as...JERICHO 3. In a remote corner of Afghanistan, three patients are diagnosed with a rare, incredibly infectious disease. At a U.S. base just outside Pakistan, an American army doctor is kidnapped by a local tribe to perform an unlikely surgical procedure on the wife of a powerful leader. And back in the U.S., Camp is handed his most challenging assignment ever, which leaves the normally confident hero desperate for answers. All the while, Camp must hold back his secret desire for Leslie Raines, his beautiful cohort, as they are sent off on two sides of the same mission...only to reunite when the stakes get deadly. With his trademark grit and a globe-racing plot, Paul McKellips takes readers deep into the Middle East conflict, raising timely questions of radicalism, faith, and honor. As the clock ticks down toward Armageddon, Camp and Raines must do everything it takes to stop the total annihilation of two countries.


Review


Jericho 3 is the sequel tho McKellips' first book, Uncaged. I have not read the first book so I was a little worried about picking up with the second book in the series. When I started reading the book, it did not really matter that I had not read Uncaged. McKellips gives enough background information about the characters and plot that I was able to understand what was going on. I had mixed feelings when initially reading this  book. It took me a good 100 pages to actually get into the book. The book is divided into 3 parts and the first part I found quite boring. Once part 2 started, I was hooked for the most part. I did struggle a bit with understanding the military acronyms and terms that were used, but I was able to understand the basic premise of the book.


McKellips definitely knows how to keep a reader on the edge of their seat. Every time I started to get slightly disinterested, McKellips switches gears and shocks the reader. I won't give away the end, but let me just say  my heart was racing when I closed the book. I did get a bit confused at times about the many different story lines and I was sometimes confused about how they all worked together. The story takes place in many different parts of the world, but by the end every story line came together.  It was interesting to see how much work goes into creating vaccines and all of the trials they have to go through to actually use a vaccine in society. The book also included many "hot topics" of conversation in today's media; animal testing, the war on terrorism, the military, Alzheimer's disease. It is a book that I believe many political junkies would enjoy reading. You can read more about Paul McKellips and Jericho 3 at Paul's website.


Happy Reading!
Bookaholic

No comments:

Post a Comment