Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Review: Hidden-: Like Anne Frank

Title:  Hidden: Like Anne Frank
Author: Marcel Prins and Peter Henk Steenhis
Grade:  A+

Review
This book tells the tales of several Jewish children who survive the Holocaust by hiding.  This book had been on my TBR shelf for quite awhile. I have always been interest in the Holocaust but was pushed to read this book after I recently saw a play version of Anne Frank. I was blown away by the play and was excited (which I don't think is the exact word to describe reading about such an awful time period) to read this book. The book is divided into 14 chapters that each focus on a different child. Most of the children in the chapters do not actually end up in a concentration camp, but survive by either hiding in plain sight and acting as a non-Jewish child, or by hiding in a closet or a hidden area in a house. This is different than most of the books I have read about the Holocaust. Each of the chapters truly tugged on my heart and made me feel like I was actually there hiding along with each of them. I can not imagine how terrifying it would be to have to worry who would find me or where if I would ever see my family again. Another part of the book that I really liked was that there were photos of what each child looks like today. This really puts a face to a name and truly shows that these were real people, not just fictional characters in a book. Because the Holocaust is truly a terrible, horrible time period, when reading these books, we sometimes convince ourselves that the stories are fiction and there is no way that any of this could have actually happened. It is very unfortunate that it did happen and it is truly a part of history.

I think this book is a great read for anyone interested in the Holocaust and survival stories. It is a juvenile fiction book so it is a short read, but is still very powerful.

Happy Reading!
Bookaholic 

1 comment:

  1. The review is detailed and interesting and seems like i must have it for my book shelve. i think i will enjoy reading it. thanks for the share and the generous reviews.

    ReplyDelete