Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Review: Meritorium


Title: Meritorium
Author: Joel Ohman
Grade: A

Synopsis from the back of the book
Charley has escaped from Meritropolis...

but in his quest to take down the System that has taken his brother from him, he must go through Meritorium, a city where gladiatorial games of life or death combat are waged between High Scores and Low Scores, man and beast.

Charley and Sandy must face man-eating plants, religious zealots, slave traders, and the ever present mutant animal combinations that roam a dystopian Coliseum presided over by Emperor Titus, the one man standing between Charley and the answers he seeks. Man is not an animal, but if they are to make it through Meritorium, will they even be able to tell the difference?

The lines between man and beast, friend and foe, will blur in Meritorium, the riveting sequel to the bestselling Meritropolis.


Review
Meritorium is the second book in the "Meritropolis" series by Joel Ohman. You can read the review for the first book posted below this review! I was a little disappointed by Meritropolis and was hoping to be more excited about the second book. I have to say that the second book did not let me down! This book blew me away! The book picks back up with Charley and the gang on their way to Meritorium. The meet many animal combos and even some interesting plant combos. When they finally reach the city, they are instantly thrown into many situations that keep the reader on their toes throughout the entire book. The System continues to be challenged and Charley, Sven, and Sandy continue to fight it, which brings on a slew of new characters and obstacles. During the course of the book, Ohman introduces as one point the concept of grace into a situation between Charley and another character. I liked being challenged on a mental level on how difficult it is to provide grace to someone who does not deserve. As a Christian I know that I am given grace through Jesus Christ, and recognized this with Charley. It is always a plus when books can make you think on a higher level.

I am not always a hge fan of books that are turned into movies, but Meritorium would make for an epic action movie, along the lines of The Hunger Games" series. Seeing how the animal combos are depicted in real life would be pretty awesome! I was a little sad that we did not get to see what happened to Elena during the second book, but maybe Ohman will bring her back in the next book in the series. Meritorium kept me wanting more and I am anxiously awaiting the third book! I suggest this book to any readers who like dystopian fiction and anyone who is looking for a book to keep them on the edge of their seats. As the second book in the series, you do have to read the first book to understand what is going on in the second book.
Happy Reading!
Bookaholic

*I was sent this book to review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by others.*

1 comment:

  1. I was searching for some good books online and suddenly your blog pop up. Do you know other kinds of book blogs and kindly suggest me updated review blogs for books.

    ReplyDelete